My fabulous and fierce friend, Cathy Brooks, invited me along to watch a screening of Miss Representation tonight, and WOW… what an incredible film!! Watch the trailer, share the trailer, and look for a screening near you* and see it as soon as possible.
*If you live in SF, there’s a screening on Wed. Jan 25th at LoveSpring!
This film brought up so much for me, and it was done so well. In particular, the data is absolutely shocking and irrefutable:
Click to view this larger, and read more on http://www.missrepresentation.org/resources/
- Women hold only 3% of clout positions in the mainstream media (telecommunications, entertainment, publishing and advertising).
- Women comprise 7% of directors and 13% of film writers in the top 250 grossing films.
- The United States is 90th in the world in terms of women in national legislatures.
- Women hold 17% of the seats in the House of Representatives (the equivalent body in Rwanda is 56.3% female).
- Women are merely 3% of Fortune 500 CEOs.
- About 25% of girls will experience teen dating violence.
- The number of cosmetic surgical procedures performed on youth 18 or younger more than tripled from 1997 to 2007.
- Among youth 18 and younger, liposuctions nearly quadrupled between 1997 and 2007 and breast augmentations increased nearly six-fold in the same 10-year period.
- 65% of American women and girls report disordered eating behaviors.
Thank you, Jennifer Siebel Newsom and team for creating this movie!!
Education is where it starts, and I’m thrilled to see this film out in the world, shifting the cultural mindset around gender and sexism. The time is now!